Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Confused as to which side of paper to use?

This is a question I often get asked by my students. The explanation below from RK Burt explains it well:

"All paper is made with differences between the two sides. With mould made artist papers the sides are called the 'felt side' and the 'mould side'. The felt side is the one that touches the woollen felts first during manufacturer and the 'mould side' is the side that touches the wire mesh around the cylinder called a mould. Both sides of the paper can be used for painting, but the 'felt side' is often considered to be superior. It is difficult to tell the differences between the two sides - you need to look very carefully at the paper to try to see the lines left by the fine wire mesh of the mould."

No comments:

Post a Comment